andy's php projects
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Script and site usage:
All of the scripts on this site are provided free for non-commerical, personal or non-profit use. If you find these scripts useful to you, appreciate the free support, or are just an all round nice person, then why not donate a little dosh? If you wish to use any of these in a commercial system, please refer to the payment plan.

Change Hue of a greyscale image

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    php.amnuts.com Forum Index -> Image Functions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Change Hue of a greyscale image Reply with quote

I was wondering how to use this class to change the hue of a greyscale image. Basically this would give me a color wash of the image.

I should go into more detail:

Basically i want to allow a user to input a hex color into a form. the form will then create a table with the hex color border and I want the greyscale image to be washed in the hex color (sort of). I want to keep saturation at 90, which gives a nice washed out look and get the hue value from the hex color. Luminosity doesn't seem to matter.

I can see how to get the rgb values from your class, but i don't see how to get the hue value or apply it to the image.

Lets see:
$hex = '#45F2C3';
$hls = Image::rgb2hls(Image::hex2rgb($hex));
$hue = $hls[0];
$sat = $hls[1];
$lum = $hls[2];

This is where I get stuck. $sat will be a value between 0 and 1, I'm used to PSP which uses a value between 0 and 255. So I want about 35%.
So do i set $sat to 0.35 ???
$lum I guess i set to about the same (35%).

So maybe:
$hls[1]=0.35;
$hls[2]=0.35;
$new_hex = Image::rgb2hex(Image::hls2rgb($hls));

then (going out on a limb):
$img = imagecreatefromjpeg('original.jpg');
Image::colourise($img, $new_hex);
imagejpeg($img, 'processed.jpg', 90);

send headers blah blah
amnuts
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Freddo, and welcome to the board!

Sorry it took a little while to respond to this post, but on reading it again there are some questions...

When you say yo uwant to give a 'washed out' colour at a certain percentage, is it the colour you want to give a percentage of, or actual luminensence? For example, if I gave pure red as the hex colour, do you actually want the colourise be be 35% of pure red? Or is it a case that you want to saturate the image to 35% it's strength (basically apply a white wash on it) and then colourise at full strength? Does that make sense?

Incidently, you don't need to greyscale before you colourise. It's a step (and a whole chunk of processing and time) you can avoid.

Oh, and this is wrong:

Code:
$hue = $hls[0];
$sat = $hls[1];
$lum = $hls[2];

hue = $hls[0], lum = $hls[1] and sat = $hls[2] (h.l.s., in that order).

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
freddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Firstly I should say I'm not an expert at graphics. So it's not surprising I've confused you.

I'm starting with a greyscale image. I have a page where someone can change the colour of the borders, by choosing a hex colour. I've used a greyscale image because grey works with all 16 million hex colours (if i did the image in blue it might clash if someone wanted pink).

What i thought would be cool, would be if I could change the image from greyscale to a colour that matched the borders. Now if someone picked a bright red, i don't want the image bright red but a washed out red.

Playing with Paint Shop Pro i can do that to the greyscale image by making the lum and sat set at 90 (scale of 1 to 255 - 30%) and then just moving the Hue slider. I get nice washed out colours on the image. Just wondering if your class can do this? and how? Thought you might know off the top of your head. When I get a bit of time i might play with the class and see if I can make it happen....
amnuts
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy answer is; yes, the class can do this, with a little tweaking.

You see, all you need to do is really tweak the colourise function to alter the hue, luminesence and saturation.

Look at this code:

PHP:
<?php function colourise(&$im$setColour)
    {
        if (
is_string($setColour)) {

$hls Image::rgb2hls(Image::hex2rgb($setColour));
        } else {

$hls Image::rgb2hls($setColour);
        }

$sx imagesx($im);

$sy imagesy($im);
        for (
$x 0$x $sx$x++) {
            for (
$y 0$y $sy$y++) {

$rgb Image::getPixelRGB($im$x$y);

$pxhls Image::rgb2hls($rgb);

// determines the actual colour

$pxhls[0] = $hls[0];

// makes more of the image whiter

$pxhls[1] = ($pxhls[1] + $hls[1] > 1) ? $pxhls[1] + $hls[1];

// controls how much of the $setColour is shown

$pxhls[2] = 0.2;

$rgb Image::hls2rgb($pxhls);

imagesetpixel($im$x$yimagecolorallocate($im$rgb[0], $rgb[1], $rgb[2]));
            }
        } 
    } 
?>

You can see in there I have updated the $pxhls assignment. Let's look at the lines:

PHP:
<?php // determines the actual colour

$pxhls[0] = $hls[0];

// makes more of the image whiter

$pxhls[1] = ($pxhls[1] + $hls[1] > 1) ? $pxhls[1] + $hls[1];

// controls how much of the $setColour is shown

$pxhls[2] = 0.2?>

The hue gets set to whatever colour I pass in. Imagine in this instance I set the colour to be 'FF0000' - red.

For the hell of it I'm bumping up the luminescence to make the image look bleached out. I'm doing this in a simple way of just adding the lum value of them both together. Because the range is 0-1, if the value is about 1 I set it to 1. If you wanted to saturate the image with white to a certain percentage, then you'd add the percentage value (0.35, in your case) to the $pxhls and check it doesn't go above 1. If you wanted to keep the lum value the same then simply remove this line which will keep $pxhls[1] the same.

Then I set the saturation of the colour to 0.2. I'm doing this just to give a slight colour effect of the red. You could try the 0.35 value here to get that saturation level.

If you update the colourise function then it's simply a case of calling it like this:

PHP:
<?php

require_once('class.image.php');

set_time_limit(120);

$img imagecreatefromjpeg('original.jpg');

Image::colourise($img'FF0000');

header('Content-type: image/jpeg');

imagejpeg($img);

?>

You could always update the colourise function to take an additional parameter of 'percetange'.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
freddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, when i have time I'll go over this and post back how i go.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    php.amnuts.com Forum Index -> Image Functions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: