andy's php projects
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Script and site usage:
All of the scripts on this site are provided free for non-commerical, personal or non-profit use. If you find these scripts useful to you, appreciate the free support, or are just an all round nice person, then why not donate a little dosh? If you wish to use any of these in a commercial system, please refer to the payment plan.

Planning a revamp

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    php.amnuts.com Forum Index -> Drop Shadowed Thumbnail Creator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amnuts
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Planning a revamp Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning a revamp of the drop shadow class. I thought I might make it work more like the crop canvas class (in that you have to specifically save the file rather than just relying on the createDropshadow to do this for you.) In addition I am thinking of making a 'super class' which combines both the crop canvas and the drop-shadow functionality into one class.

Does anyone who uses either/or have any objections, comments, etc. before I go ahead and start programming?

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
V@no
Light Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way add support for ImageMagick and NetPBM ?
I know only GD has ability create semi-transparent images...Sad
amnuts
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used NetPBM before (any good?) ImageMagick has possibilities, though I thought it had it's own routines to do a drop shadow on an image.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hybrid

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good... A super-class would be nice too since they are both image manipulations and would fit into a single class.

As for NetPBM, I think it does a pretty good job. Other projects like Gallery (http://gallery.sf.net) use it ahead of ImageMagick and GD. The only thing is that when using NetPBM, you generally are calling direct command line programs via exec() instead of the GD function way. NetPBM is similar to ImageMagick in that respect.

keep up the nice coding Smile
amnuts
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off;

Hybrid wrote:
keep up the nice coding Smile

Thanks, and welcome to the board! Smile

Hybrid wrote:
As for NetPBM, I think it does a pretty good job. Other projects like Gallery (http://gallery.sf.net) use it ahead of ImageMagick and GD. The only thing is that when using NetPBM, you generally are calling direct command line programs via exec() instead of the GD function way. NetPBM is similar to ImageMagick in that respect.

I think this is a reason I chose (and continue to choose) GD over the others - because it's a built in extension to GD and, usually, comes installed on a system with PHP where you wont generally find IM or NetPBM. So I think there is a little loss in maybe functionality you can give (IM is very powerful, as I image so is NetPBM) because you're going for a less developed package, but you have the convenience of built in functions and a most accessible package. In saying that, of course, I know there's an IM class being developed in PEAR which could be great (not tried it out, though.)

Andy
Hybrid

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnuts wrote:
I think this is a reason I chose (and continue to choose) GD over the others - because it's a built in extension to GD and, usually, comes installed on a system with PHP where you wont generally find IM or NetPBM. So I think there is a little loss in maybe functionality you can give (IM is very powerful, as I image so is NetPBM) because you're going for a less developed package, but you have the convenience of built in functions and a most accessible package. In saying that, of course, I know there's an IM class being developed in PEAR which could be great (not tried it out, though.)

Funnily enough, my problem was not having GD 2 installed and it was actually a lot easier to get netPBM running. You can get statically compiled binaries of the netPBM apps and you then just need to drop them in a directory on the webserver and make the web user [e.g www] the owner (only took me about 5 hours to work that bit out! Razz)

I do like the more integrated function way of GD but in the end it is the quality of the output that really matters to me. IM seems pretty good so I'll be on the lookout for that PEAR class for it!
amnuts
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, the new version is almost ready. It wont include NetPBM of IM functionality on this version, but I am definitely going to look into that for future versions.

This new version (which V@no has been kind enough to test for me!) includes the ability to resize the thumbnail BY a pixel size or percentage of the image size, of TO a pixel size or a percentage of the image size. This can be proportional to the width or height of the image, or can work on both the width AND height! For example, I could resize to whatever in height but max of 100 pixels in width, or resize the width to 30% original size and height to 80% original size, or reduce the image by 70% of its size... You get the idea.

It'll work differently to the current version, but hopefully it'll give you a LOT more control over what you are doing... I'll write up some kind of tutorial for it when it's complete. I estimate it should be available within a week (depending on how busy I am at work over the coming week.)

It'll simply superceed the existing dropshadow class on the main projects listing, but I'll post up here when the new version is available.

Andy
Hybrid

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnuts wrote:
Hi,

Well, the new version is almost ready. It wont include NetPBM of IM functionality on this version, but I am definitely going to look into that for future versions.

Great! I'll be interested to see it and maybe I'll be able to make some changes to support netPBM/IM... I'm still a bit inexperienced with PHP OOP stuff but I'm getting there. I had a look at the PEAR site recently and there appears to be a package for NetPBM, IM and GD operations. I'm yet to test it out though...

amnuts wrote:

This new version (which V@no has been kind enough to test for me!) includes the ability to resize the thumbnail BY a pixel size or percentage of the image size, of TO a pixel size or a percentage of the image size. This can be proportional to the width or height of the image, or can work on both the width AND height! For example, I could resize to whatever in height but max of 100 pixels in width, or resize the width to 30% original size and height to 80% original size, or reduce the image by 70% of its size... You get the idea.

That sounds very handy indeed. Actually I believe netPBM has that sort of functionality built-in (you can specify the max width and height and it will resize the image while constraining proportions) but it isn't that friendly to use.

Looking forward to checking out what you come up with. I think I should get on to upgrading GD on the server... Idea

Stephen
Uzume

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really know nothing about this php script and what it does or does not do but I noticed someone asking about transparent images and I thought I would mention that PNG image format has full alpha layers (though many web browsers do not seem to fully support this correctly).
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amnuts wrote:

If you could get that running, it would be an in Germany so called "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau", loosely translated, this means something like "Egg giving wooly Cowpig" Very Happy
motionbliss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning a revamp Reply with quote

amnuts wrote:
Does anyone who uses either/or have any objections, comments, etc. before I go ahead and start programming?

I very much enjoy the dynamic drop shadow abilities -- keeping the original intact. I don't pay for server cycles with my host (directly Wink ) -- making image manipulation & additional uploads one less activity I have to deal with when I'm on the clock in an Internet cafe.

Best,

//craig
Phoenix, AZ
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    php.amnuts.com Forum Index -> Drop Shadowed Thumbnail Creator All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: